Staying in the Loop
- Being a BERC member enables you to stay informed on energy events both on campus and throughout the Bay Area. BERC distributes both a weekly external newsletter for a general audience and a weekly dispatch with more detail for current students. Click to join our mailing list.
- Each BERC member is represented by a liaison from within their department. Liaisons communicate regularly with the BERC leadership team to ensure our offerings are aligned with your interests. A list of liaisons can be found here.
- BERC is a great opportunity to meet your fellow UC Berkeley students interested in energy and resource issues. We host monthly Happy Hours (check our calendar for dates) at the Faculty Club on campus where students can practice presenting or pitching their work (if you would like to present/pitch, email our events VP), or just mix and mingle with like-minded students from every program on campus.
- BERC also hosts an Annual Alumni Reunion in San Francisco towards the end of Spring where students can mingle with BERC alumni from up to 10 years ago that are now successful leaders in the field.
- The BERC jobs board is a great resource for finding full time work as well as internships. It collates job postings from all over the US related to energy/resource issues and has new postings almost daily.
- BERC Communities are opportunities for subsets of the BERC population with shared interests to engage in deeper collaboration. Communities have their own leadership, put together great events, and sometimes organize real-world projects.
- BERC members are also eligible to participate in Berkeley Innovative Solutions (BIS), a student run consulting program. BIS offers students the opportunity to tackle challenging real-world problems on behalf of cleantech companies, non-profit organizations, and government agencies.
- BERC hosts a number of BERCshops, field trips, and happy hours. All of these events are free for members. Keep an eye on the weekly dispatch and the BERC Calendar for the latest offerings.
- Have an idea for an event? BERC can help you organize and fund it. Either submit an event idea to events.@berc.berkeley.edu or contact your departmental liaison for more details.
- In addition to regular events, BERC also hosts our annual Summit and Resources Roundtable conferences. These events are great opportunities for BERC to interact with the broader Bay Area energy and resources community.
- BERC offers partial funding to attend case competitions and conferences related to energy and resources.
Opportunity to Highlight your Work or Express an Opinion
- BERC’s website hosts a blog where the contributors are almost entirely BERC members. The blog is a great medium through which to share your ideas on energy, whether they be a preview of interesting research or an opinion on current events. To contribute to the blog, please email email@example.com.
- BERC also aims to produce a weekly member spotlight that showcases members’ work, both academic and in the field.
- Practice presenting your research or pitch an idea at our monthly BERC Happy Hours (check our calendar for dates) at the Faculty Club on campus (if you would like to present/pitch, email our events VP). These presentations are informal (no powerpoint) and allow students to get feedback from an interdisciplinary crowd
- All of BERC’s offerings aim to educate it’s members but there are also a number of other opportunities to get engaged with on the UC Berkeley Campus. Check here for a list of all of the energy and/or sustainability related courses offered at Berkeley as well as a list of other great organizations in the space.